About Glen Albyn (silent)
(Glen AOL-bin) Glen Albyn was a Highland single malt Scotch whisky distillery in Inverness, founded in 1846 by James Sutherland, Provost of Inverness. Built beside the Caledonian Canal, the distillery had access to Loch Ness water and was located close to Glen Mhor, another lost Inverness distillery. Glen Albyn had a difficult early life, including a fire in 1849, periods of closure, conversion into a flour mill, and a full rebuild by Grigor & Co in 1884.
Glen Albyn later became part of Mackinlays & Birnie, before passing to DCL in 1972. The distillery used unusual D-shaped worm tubs and was one of the early adopters of Saladin box maltings, shared with neighbouring Glen Mhor. Production stopped in 1983 during the wider Scotch whisky downturn, and the site was later demolished to make way for retail development. Surviving Glen Albyn single malt is now scarce, with most examples coming from Diageo Rare Malts, Gordon & MacPhail and other independent bottlings.